Student Visa for Costa Rica
International students who wish to study in Costa Rica require a visa depending on their study period and nationality. Read on to know about the Costa Rican visa conditions and application procedure-
As per the law for granting of entry visa to Costa Rica, all international students, irrespective of their nationality, must apply for a special category provisional visa.
International students are issued a temporary student or a tourist visa, depending on the duration of the study and nationality.
International students must apply for the temporary student visa at the Costa Rica embassy/consulate in their place of residence. Students that do not have a Costa Rica consulate in their country can carry the process once they enter Costa Rica. They must enter on a tourist visa and later their status is changed to a special category of student.
As part of the visa process that is held in Costa Rica, the student must get the following documents in order to get the “Special Category of Student”:
- Birth certificate: it should have the parent’s names.
- Criminal record certificate from the country of origin
**Both the documents must be valid for 3 months and be translated in Costa Rica if issued in language other than Spanish.
International students must request for “Special category of student
” once in Costa Rica at the Office of International Affairs and External Cooperation (OAICE)
. The written request must include your complete name with surname, date of birth; stay duration, nationality, type of passport-validity and number, and accommodation address in Costa Rica. Also, attach the following documents with the written request:
- A copy of passport and 2 passport-size photos
- Evidence of registry of digital fingerprints
- Evidence of registration before the consular registry of the embassy of his/her own country of origin in Costa Rica
The OAICE prepares the Special category of student request from the General Direction of Migration and Immigration of the Government of Costa Rica.
Study Visa Application Procedure
For third and fourth group countries-
Citizens of third and fourth group countries as determined by the General Direction of Migration and Immigration of the Government of Costa Rica must apply for the temporary student visa at the Costa Rica embassy/consulate in their place of residence that will allow then to enter the country under the respective category .
Students when visiting the Costa Rica embassy must carry the following documents along:
- Completed visa application form and passport-size photos
- Birth certificate
- Proof of accommodation in Costa Rica
- A copy of valid passport or any travel document
- Acceptance letter from the higher education institution in Costa Rica- It must include the duration of the study programme
- Police report of non-delinquency
- Proof of financial support
Visa Issuance Time
Visa issuance time varies depending on the nationality.
To know more about the Costa Rica student visa application, contact the Costa Rica consulate in your place of residence.
For latest information about study visa to Costa Rica click here.